Wednesday, April 11, 2012

I've just driven over some of the finest scenery in this glorious region and probably as good as anywhere in this country. 120 miles of lanes punctuated by villages pristine, moorland magnificent and vistas supreme. Stopping frequently, drinking in the ambience and revelling in the cool, calm, sunny spring weather.

Arriving home in time for the local news the headline concerned the release of some sewage on a beach during periods of persistent rain. Oh, dear, the monstrosity of it, seeing sewage in the sea. Half a century ago we knew that after a drop of rain you kept your mouth shut when you went surfing. Now it's a news story that sewage is released through storm drains. So, a surfer moans, a granny complains because it could scar the children and a councillor wails that shutting the beach could cause those whose votes he covets to think less of him.

What utter tripe. What nonsense the BBC puts out.

Now, if you want a story I'll give you one ....

Everywhere I stopped today on my two county traverse I had to watch out for dog mess. It is everywhere. My local paper constantly publishes letters about it. My dad's local paper does the same.

Everywhere you go in this country we all have to navigate with extreme caution so as to avoid stepping in this stuff. Is there a piece of countryside unspoilt by dog faeces? Is there a town centre devoid of dog droppings? Is there a country walk unblemished by neatly tied bags of doggy do slung into the trees, bushes, verges or just dumped on the very paths themselves?

Worse is the fact that it is now becoming the same on our beaches. I recently wandered along my local beach and the smell of  the presence of the passing of dog was most unpleasant.

That's a story to campaign on.

But will the BBC campaign to stop this? No chance, not as long as the utility companies make such an easy target. And certainly when as far as our local BBC company is concerned you are an animal lover or you don't exist.

Shame on you, BBC, shame on every dog owner in this country.

I am not a dog owner, nor a lover of them.
But until recently I was happy to live and let live ......

No comments: