Wednesday, November 06, 2019

Amazing, ridiculous, sublime

At 1030 this morning the postman rang the doorbell and in return for a signature I am now in receipt of a blue badge. It's such a strange thing, so often associated with others, their age and ailments it feels a little awkward having your own so suddenly.

Right up to the moment you park by the hotel door and find yourself wheezing by the time you've got to reception.

It is truly amazing and testimony to just how efficient Lesley at Hospiscare is. What a lady, thank you. Somehow I assumed that it would take ages and yet here if is in use already.

Rather wonderfully my management consultant suggested a couple of nights in a hotel with sea or harbour views at the other end of The Jurassic Coast.

I felt pretty good as the late night codeine seem to be doing their stuff rather well so it seemed a good idea. Last minute telephone dot com and it's all sorted. Two nights, first evening meal thrown in and a harbour view. Sounded good.
 It was good. Keeping the English Channel as close as possible and telling the Sat nav that a ferry trip was a good thing we gently bimbled our way along the south coast. Lovely, utterly lovely.

Which is more than can be said of the harbour view. I know this harbour well and I wasn't impressed with their ridiculous idea of a what a harbour view looks like. The side of the adjacent hotel wall between your window and the harbour does not a harbour view make. I didn't mention the clanking of a chain ferry and car disembarking suffice to say that two nights listening to that would be beyond codeine.

Ever resourceful, my management engaged with their management and our view became proper.
I have sat here all afternoon watching. AIS never far away, binoculars poised but I didn't even think to bring a scanner. Sublime or what?

There have also been almost endless streams of these type of boats coming going and stopping outside the window.
I could get to like this, may be a struggle to just sit around watching the tideflow and boats come and go but I'll give it a go, till Friday when we'll have to move the blue badge again and head back west.

Thank you, Lesley. You were right. It does make life easier, much easier for both of us.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Dave,
Great to discover your blog. (Mine needs an update. The older I get the less technical I seem to be!) Good to hear you have managed a few days break. Praying the rest of your time will be enjoyable. Also glad to have your e-mail.Thanks for the book of poems, a great example of a Wordsmith able to express an aching poignancy. Sorry to hear you are increasingly breathless? again we pray you will know much of His Presence & Grace. I forget if I mentioned that we are presently in Jersey. Here until a week today. It's as wet here as the U.K. but reasonably mild. I preached yesterday. Also due to do mid week then next Sunday. It's been good to renew fellowship with Quennevais evangelical church. Being currently without a Pastor you take the next passages in their current series i.e. Psalm 10 & 11 pm with Eph 5 & 6 am. It's been a good exercise to prepare & a privilege to preach. I'm fortunate healthwise at the moment with 'pace yourself' as the advice day by day. I left my mobile at home which is why I'm replying on Linda's. It means an unintentional 'chill out time!'
Be assured of our thoughts & prayers as you navigate this stage of your journey.
Steve (& Linda)xx