Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Play it, Sam.

Late this afternoon we heard a buzzing, a rasping, a pinging which upon investigation led to a hitherto unnoticed video screen beside the apartment's door. A smiling face explained that this was "Sam" who had come to sort out the telly.

Once Sam was in and buttons supplied his grin broadened and the TV burst into life with many channels, all of which were flicked through so fast that it was hard to keep up but after being overwhelmed with choice he settled on the screen that I had managed to display. A few colourful icons and one labelled "Chrome" with which I'd been able to get France24 in English and Sky News International.

Sam's delight was palpable. "Watch this," he said.
So I did.
USA News with Donald Trump performing with a heady display of vim and vigour.
France 24, again his Donaldness in performance
BBC also showing Trumpton
German TV, Spanish TV, Brazilian TV, Canadian TV and on and on and on and all distributing Trumpionianism to the whole world and to an apartment in downtown here.

Next up, movies. Never knew there were so many but thin them out by choosing "English" and there are still more than I could ever watch.

Then we were introduced to TV Shows, choose "Shows" or "Seasons". Sam chose "Game of Thrones" and I was informed that all the seasons/episodes are available. I was impressed but not by the subject matter.

So it went on. And on. He was a gem. A delight. He explained how it all worked and how to make selections and eventually as my brain was about to burst, but not before mentally noting "Grand Tour S1 E1- 8 available" and "Sherlock.S4" Sam gave me the controls, turned it all off and let me carry on.

I pretty much got as far as "British TV All" from which I selected the top one then scrolling down there was an endless list, many of which I've never heard of let alone seen.

With the exchange of pleasantries and gratitude expressed smiling Sam went leaving a mere mortal with two sets of buttons and a telly that had far too much going on in it.

After fiddling for a while and failing to find much on, apart for Trumptonia we went out for a wander in the balmy Mediterranean evening. Where I took this. We are pretty much where the bright light shining along the water is although where the light itself is I don't know.
A wonderful stroll but we noticed a cloud of smoke issuing forth a bit of a way down the road from us. Picking up the pace and pressing a few buttons I managed to shoot a couple of policepersons stood by the car with phone in hand and
anxiety in evidence.

Not wishing to be too obviously amused we wandered on whereupon two young policemen showing signs of exuberance and mirth were appearing to hurry in the general direction of the previously mentioned policepersons.

We crossed the road under cover of darkness and in no time at all a low loader arrived and spirited the broken police car away. How exciting is that?

Getting back home I fired up the laptop. It died. Tried again. Same. Cisk. Tried again and it worked. Started this blog and it's fallen over three times so far in its writing. It hasn't done this for ages but it does have phases.

However, I note that in "Explorer" under "Network" I now have a whole list of servers. Clicking on them brings up Media Player and a whole world of entertainment. It may be that I wasn't totally at fault with the telly after all.

It has just been restarted and I'm about to hit "publish" so if you are reading this it has worked and I'm on the balcony with a glass of red.

Valletta looks good tonight.




No comments: