Wednesday, March 29, 2017

̶S̶o̶m̶e̶t̶i̶m̶e̶s̶ my wife is rìght

No sooner had I pressed 《publish》 than the phone rang. Fortunately the last thing that she did before planting stuff in earth outside was to put the phone, a sheet of paper and a pencil on the coffee table easily within arms reach.

Tuesday 4th April, said a very pleasant sounding lady, be here for 0700. That is what I wrote immediately before interrupting the gardener.

How did we get here, I thought? Certainly no effort on my part!

A couple of posts below involved a Saturday walk around Manoel Island in the heat of the Mediterranean sun. That night I went to bed much earlier than was normal but when I woke up I was tired. This felt most odd but unremarkable as I thought that midday heat and too much sun made me a bit exhausted.

The journey home on Wednesday was remarkable for its smoothness. Like clockwork. But I was still abnormally tired. I was told to go to the doctors. I didn't. The week passed and the tiredness continued but I could cope with it.

The second Thursday back was a most lovely day. As close to Mediterranean as you can get in this country in February. Some friends came round for coffee, the real stuff and after they left I thought it a good idea to ride my push bike along the seafront. This I did, stopping for a yarn here and there and covering the cycle paths at a sedate pace. It felt good.

Got home and couldn't lift a pint of Ribena.  Lay down on the settee and didn't wake until my wife came home. Much later. Go to the doctors she told me. Don't be silly, I said I just rode 10 miles, I'm bound to be tired. I've done that same route a zillion times and never felt that tired, though.

Friday we went to see a car on a local garage forecourt. At some point the world went wobbly, I turned yellow, struggled to stand, focus, or think. I was put into our car and driven home at which time a phone call to the doctor was made but not by me. Within an hour I was sat in front of a very nice doctor who I'd never met. I only come to the doctors when I'm poorly, I said.

Well, you're poorly, he said. I think it's a virus, hepatitis or similar so go home, stay there, don't do anything and don't take any alcohol. Be here at 0900 on Monday for blood tests.

That was it. I did apologise for taking up his time but with a broad grin and smiling eyes he told me, in a conspiratorial voice that I'd been far more interesting than all the coughs, colds and sore throats that he'd seen all day.

We went home. I didn't go out. I wasn't allowed to do anything. All traces of bottles alcoholic disappeared. No one told me that I should have seen the doctor a fortnight ago.

Maybe there was one who did, but whenever she mentions it she does so with grace and understanding.......

And she had me first in the queue for a blood test long before 0900 on Monday.

No comments: