Tuesday, March 28, 2017

The day a jar of instant coffee appeared ...... here.

The confession, when it came, was hesitatingly given. Almost sheepishly but in no way
apologetically.

Instant coffee in our house, albeit hidden in plain sight.

 We have, in coffee corner, the only part of our kitchen over which I have even the slightest jurisdiction, a full on Gaggia espresso machine, old but rebuilt and fully functional, a marvellous Aerobie Aeropress, a present from some who recognised that our previous one was way beyond sensible repair and a recently purchased, for a magnificently benevolent sum from our highly esteemed coffee supplier, Chemex Filter.

Sharing coffee corner are both a La Pavoni electric burr grinder doser and a rather fine hand grinder for when less heat is required for a more delicate bean.

Hence my surprise at the news that instant coffee had been purveyed. However, I am no longer able to exercise any significant input in respect of one's daily activities.

Like the Gaggia, which over recent months stopped functioning as it was originally designed to operate and which eventualy needed a new switch, then a new boiler, a new pump and extensive internal replumbing I, too, have attained a similar failure to function properly.

Fortunately my pump is excellent according to the anaesthetist , my boiler is fine and my switches function he said. Alas, the surgeon says that my failure to function as originally designed is down to the presence of an alien blocking a tube that must not be blocked.

Thus a fairly significant number of my digestive organs need partial removal and my digestive tract is in need of extensive replumbing.

All the scans have been pored over, the pre-op tests passed, to the surprise of some, and the prognosis given. The pre-op medication sits in a bag a few feet away, a veritable library of books, pamphlets and myriad cards with names and phone numbers are never far from my managerial purveyor of instant coffee.

Now we await a phone call and whilst I am being replumbed, pressure tested and stitched back together visitors may be offered coffee here but it may not be the real thing.

No comments: