Monday, July 03, 2017

Empathy for Keith (Richards)

Sat as I am in the presence of greatness one cannot but help appreciating Life, I haven't read it but I'm sure it's author will one day write volume two. Certainly, as he gives life to "You got the silver" I am so grateful to have had the opportunity to have seen him and his band on more than one occasion. Probably the greatest rock and roll band in the world. I've even had tea with the father of the lead singer in Chippenham. That was a while ago, though.

This week my appreciation of Keef has increased immeasurably. I've had a week on drugs, he's had almost a lifetime. It has been weird, extremely weird. No two days have been the same, I'd go as far as to say that no two hours have, either. One afternoon I think I watched a big hand race a little one for three full turns of the clock face. Can't remember much else but it wasn't any great effort  to do.

One morning I wandered downstairs into the kitchen, no big deal but this once I saw empty spaces on the walls as opportunies for photos I wanted to print, mount and hang. Clear as day.

Inspiration of a magnitude way beyond my normal functionality. I went up and printed one photo but my hanging skillset seems to have deserted me. That's not to say the photo isn't hung, it is but it has been poorly mounted and badly hung. The fact that it is emplaced is testimony to my acceptance that things are not as things were. I have printed another, I have cut a piece of mountboard and once I get some 3M Spraymount I will endeavour to hang it properly.

If such inspiration was the norm for Keef then I can only conclude that no matter how wonderful the out working of his chemically inspired inspiration was it should have been more.

Undoubtedly the most important events during this whole period have concerned the concern of friends. One phone call from 120 miles away has already been mentioned, another from nearer advised to look for patterns as they will appear and will likely have a degree of predictability which I suppose is what makes them a recognisable pattern in the first place. We'll see her for a cup of tea this week sometime I hope.

Visitors have made the week memorable for all the right reasons. A couple we've known for ever and who we last saw in Malta came for a few days. Their visit brought a tangible degree of normality to what is, no matter how we may like to describe it, a most abnormal situation. It was sheer joy to be left to my own devices, if only for a short while. Not that there were many devices I could turn my hand to, whilst my carer went shopping/walking/whatevering with her friend as she always has done. I'm seriously thankful that they came and stayed as they normally do.

Normality is a big deal.

The visit of grandson avec parents was also more than a bit special but it would have been so no matter what. Again, normality.

Last night a txt from afar offered the prospect of another visit from friends less frequently seen who may well come to stay a while. A fellow Cornishman who married an English wife, wise man, eh?

I / we have been blessed with visitors, sometimes for a few minutes and sometimes for hours. However short or long the visit it is always enough to take you somewhere.

This blog is so useful in this respect as those who want to know already do which means that the how are you question has already been answered so enabling conversation to start elsewhere. Another touch of normality.

Earlier we had friends from not too far away who visit most weeks but who have been on holiday recently. It was so good to see them again, then another friend popped in and later another dropped by for a cup of tea and a yarn with the PA. Delightful.

Today was an equally differently strange day. The pink pills and Rice Krispies at 0800 are normally followed by a lie down but were today immediately followed by a trip to our local surgery to have some blood taken. Alas, I was rubbish at that, too. The nurse tried valiantly and apologetically but despite attempting to pull a pint or two from both arms neither was interested. Eventually she managed to squeeze out a drip or two. If its not enough they'll have to try again in Cherryade tomorrow when Chemo#2 is due to be dripped in. Hey, ho, just as well it's all good!

Now, in an hour the next dose of pink pills will fall due but before then I have a delicious Guinness to imbibe, albeit slowly. This, and its colleagues, is part of a gift from friends I once worked with. If the truth be told, they worked, I attended. Another example of unmerited kindness from busy people who have better things to think about than me/us but who exercise their concern in a hugely supportive manner. Gratitude abounds toward them.

I may not have Keith's talent, skill, creativity, chemically enhanced or not but if he hasn't got friends like ours he is a poor man to be greatly pitied.

And if you're ever tempted to visit, give in to the temptation whoever it is and if staying over is what you do, do it. If you know where we are, drop in! On a good day the coffee has been known to be rather good. The tea isn't bad, either.

Normality is most precious and well worth encouraging, at which point I ought to mention that Keith is currently singing "Happy."

How appropriate is that?

No comments: