Wednesday, January 20, 2016

150,000 tons for breakfast

For those of us interested in such things, watching 150,000 tons of container ship slide past as you are breakfasting is of far more interest than Today on BBC R4. In this case "Linah" on her way from Rotterdam to Suez. That was on Monday as the last of the weekend's gale went through. It seemed from her track that she had swung towards the island by quite a few miles from her course before and after. It could be that her master had deemed that a risk of collision existed unless he changed course but I think it far more likely that he, or his crew were from Malta. Either way it was some sight and at 14.5 kts. she was licking along.

Yesterday as the calm was restored the sea was full of boats from 5,000 tons to 50,000 and today we've had two over 100,000 tons and one of 130,000. Of course, if boats don't interest you I apologise for mentioning them but can anyone really not be interested in boats?

Sadly, the only reason that I'm here typing at this time of day is that as we are at the halfway point it has been decreed that I'm cooking today. How stupid or desperate can you get? As if I have any interest in cooking or any ability whatsoever. Fortunately I have Google and YouTube so we're having a Tortilla later. I have done one before, about a year ago. It was a bit rubbery and slightly over garlicked, the chorizo was a tad overdone and had the texture of gravel. The potato was OK, though and so was the bacon. Had I not put so much cheese in it I suspect that it wouldn't have been so leaky when cut into. Apart from that it was alright, I think.

This time I have decided to try to follow the instructions a bit better and disassociate myself from the late Keith Floyd school of cookery even if to do so is extremely boring.

Anyway, here's a photo of 150,000 tons gliding across my breakfast table. Mined ewe, a Fuji X100T with 23mm lens on a 1.6 crop sensor doesn't really make much of an impact. It looked wonderful, though. Especially through binoculars.

No comments: