Thursday, January 28, 2016

Progress Arrested

It is only natural that if there's a pier you have to go down it. To the end. You don't even think about it. Besides, piers, quays, whatever are built strongly and can take weight, even mine.

So when I saw this one at Cirkewwa which is the most northern point of this island it had to be done. There was a gate but it was a long walk away in the lorry park but there was a hole in the wire link fence right outside the very clean, tidy and fully functional public toilets in the corner by the wall.
As I began the trek I was recalled to assist one's better half through said hole and over the low wall.

We made it right down to the end and were waiting for the ferry to depart. At this point two men were observed waving to us. I waved back and followed my leader to meet them. One had a pad of paper and a r/t which he was waving vigorously. The other was in uniform and had a leather holster on his belt. He smiled and said nothing in the way they do. The other man wearing the Gozo Ferry Co. Corporate clothing told us that we shouldn't be there because it was very dangerous, that's why there's a fence.

Now, had he said he didn't like me, that I was trespassing, a blight on society, an insular Cornishman I would have believed him. But to tell me that this pier was dangerous is simply a lie used by small minded worthless paper soldiers everywhere. Seeing that he'd brought along a smiling policeman I wasn't about to argue, or to let him know that the hole in his fence was pretty huge. Nope, just took the photos and went.

At least we got to go through the air conditioned terminal where we noted that it's €4.95 return, payable on Gozo and that the ferry leaves every half hour.

That's the first thing booked for next year, then.
Gozo with naval patrol boat P31 but I don't think it's presence was due to our security breach.

No comments: