Friday, January 16, 2015

A cautionary tale of three ladies.


Yesterday began with not one, but three women intruding into my life. The first demanded naranja upon her return from jogging just before the heavy wooden door slammed.

I'm not at my best in the morning and it was a struggle to see anything as the sun is just above the horizon and right outside our balcony doors which makes seeing very difficult.

Out internet needs the satellite TV to be on for optimal performance and as the jogger had already iPadded it was already on so when I pressed the (wrong) remote red button the telly came on. Obviously she'd moved one from where I thought it was so it wasn't my fault.

The second intrusive lady was the very smiley Scottish Carol Kirkwood who is an anathema to not morning people and as I took to my knees to gather whole naranjas from the floor after my slight error of judgement and there she is before me grinning like an Ayrshire cat telling me that the weather's pretty dire and disruption should be expected and all the time I'm blinded by the sun's rays and getting warmer by the second.

I have to say that grovelling after naranjas rolling all over a slate floor in boxers and a tee shirt in front of a weather lady does nothing for your knees, especially when with each statement she makes you feel ever more amused .... and so, so thankful.

Gathering one's synapses into some semblance of order one was able to guide a knife correctly halving the morning's quota of naranjas when a familiar voice informed me of "a look at the news from where you are" caused further confusion in my already struggling cognitive process.

At this point, I paused and realised that my confusion was entirely caused by my unrecognised attempts at multi-tasking all caused by female distraction. Something had to give so I sat down to see a news report about storms, rain, wind and pestilence in places familiar but distant and to take stock and bring order to the mind. Of course, what I should have done was to put the coffee pot under the filter before pressing the red button.

Then along came the third lady, "Bee", the "Spotlight" weather lady who began to further spread woe, doom, gloom and despondency except it made I smile (only a bit, being primarily a sympathetic sort) and grabbed the camera, the wonderful new one I may have mentioned and took this .......



Spotlight weather alongside a blazing sun drenched balcony and after much slider sliding you may just make out the outline of a, probably not the, jogger enjoying the early warmth of the day, the calm, the dryness as they do their business along the top of the beach between the promenade and the palms .......




Of course, upon the jogger's return all was calm, the floor cleaned, the naranja poured into very large wine glasses which I think I'd cleaned of their red residue, the coffee was dripping through the filter into the pot, the health conscious butter substitute disappearing into the toasted pan normale and a gentle breeze was wafting through this downstairs area as I had opened the back bedroom balcony doors hoping that the effects of the coffee earlier resting on the slate tiled floor would dry before her return.

Once again I've had to learn the hard way that mornings are for joggers and multitasking is for women and that ladies are responsible for all manner of ills.








No comments: