Wednesday, January 07, 2015

Why me?

Why? An oft asked question.

Obviously, if you are a person of faith the answer is found in the person in whom you have faith but if you are not it's a pointless question as whatever happens is a result of some random act in a chaotic world and randomness in chaos is pretty hard to order and make any sense of.

Today I had a "why me?" moment.

0600 Woken. Dark, dingy, cold and damp at 50N.
0630 Collected by a friend and delivered to a cold, windy airport but at least it was daylight.
Thanks, Kev.
0820 Through security in time to catch the last of "Today"
0900 Melvin Bragg's excellent history of Magna Carta
0930 Interrupted by a sandwich bearer.
0945 Requested to move to gate 25 by the EasyJet lady.
1010 Asked to hurry aboard an aeroplane as "it's 4C and very cold for those outside"... really?
1025 Took off. Lovely flight. Captain with wit and humour.
1320 (BST+1) landed Alicante.
1350 Caught bus.
1430 Downtown Alicante 20C
1440 Dribbled the contents of wonderful pizza down my shirt in public.
1500 Tram.
1515 Tram. Missed the first one as one of us who thought he knew the right platform was sadly deluded and given "the look" as the search party of 1 informed him of his mistake.
1618 Arrived here.
1630 Met by "Lolli" and this view.


















Shown the apartment.
Given wifi logon.
Given Satellite TV key.
Shown a cupboard with coffee filters and Turkish stovetop coffeepots.

Why me?
What have I done to deserve all this?

I can report that San Miguel has seen further reduction in price over the last year.
I can also report that Castllo de Lirie Bopal Shiraz Valencia is lovely for 1.49Euro.
Sat on the balcony, glass in hand, sublime.

Why me?
What have I done to deserve this?

These questions demand consideration and watching the trawlers moor up, listening to the waves lollop on the shore, glass in hand, blood red moon just rising to the north east, gentle airs of about 15C trying to wobble the palm fronds just across from where I sit as the gathering twilight engulfs my world they are very much on my mind.

Why me?
What have I done to deserve this?


I have concluded that I have done nothing to deserve this.
Nothing at all, really, nothing.

The inevitable conclusion that I'm drawn to is that the only reason I'm here now is that a long time ago my wife married wisely and well.







No comments: