Friday, April 19, 2019

Not such a Good Friday

Good Friday.
I can't remember last years Good Friday and really today has been a lovely day, warm, sunny, calm and dry. Visitors for coffee, visitors for tea even bringing a (quite large) boot full of logs, phone calls from friends, too. General pottering about avoiding any form of road travel as this is a more popular area to visit than the roads can cope with but normality will resume in a few days.

But a proper Good Friday?
Not really. Normally we'd have been to church just to spend a little organised set aside time to contemplate what Good Friday is all about. Trying to spend quality time, let alone quality thoughts contemplating the events in Jerusalem when the Lord Jesus Christ was nailed to a cross. A truly barbaric act which saw the Son of God killed to pay the price of what the Bible calls sin, rebellion against a Holy God. It's the centre stage of our Christian faith. The single act in history that eternity hinges on. I know, I know, I know. But today there's only one death that I find my thoughts turning to.

But because of what happened on Calvary all those years ago I am assured that one day we will be reunited with Paul in heaven and with a whole multitude of others, too. It's what stops sorrow descending into despair. It makes life ultimately a triumph even in death.

Even in the darkest places there's light because of what Jesus Christ did, and does.
Lyme Regis.
I think that between now and Easter Sunday when the sorrow of death becomes the joy of resurrection I shall post Paul's unedited facebook pages that I still struggle to read but I'd like them to be easily accessible for me and readily available to anyone.

No comments: