Saturday, April 20, 2019

Paul. January 11th 2018

Hi all,
Apologies for the lack of updates recently, life happens and all that. So, to very briefly bring you up to speed…
Christmas week was a little different than planned, I spent a week in hospital with an infection which was particularly unpleasant (the infection rather than the hospital I might add!) however they did deem me well enough to grant a day pass for Christmas day, boxing day and the day after that which was great. Christmas was awesome, we had both sets of grandparents as well as my sister up and it was great to have everyone together at Christmas for the first time. Boaz enjoyed himself too which was a bonus as it gave us hours of amusement.
It was interesting actually, I felt utterly awful pretty much the whole time and yet there was so much to enjoy over those few days that I barely remember the bad bits, funny how even when things are really not going well God can give great things to enjoy. I enjoyed it immensely I have to say  😊
Post Christmas led to chemo a week ago today which went well, but good grief it knocked me out his last week. Horrible week. But, here we are a week later and one is hoping he’s over the worst of it. Yesterday I even managed to get the inaugural journey in on the new mobility scooter! (I say new, it’s very much refurbished but new to us…). Was a great laugh, made me realise what a cushy ride Boaz gets, it was such a doddle, just push a lever and you’re effortlessly propelled along the sea front, enjoying the views, enjoying the conversation, very nice. I was slightly (read very) disappointed that you just could not get it to wheelspin on gravel, no chance of a powerslide anywhere and my word, so slow! I was at least expecting a bit more than walking pace, oh well. Anyway, it was all going swimmingly until I noticed the burning smell and the dear wife informed me that there’s smoke coming out of the back of it…! So it seems I can’t even ride a mobility scooter without setting it on fire, typical! Fortunately we purchased it from a great guy running a business out of Martyn Ashton’s old hunting ground so he’s going to take it back and sort it out for us, lovely. See if I can make the new and improved version last more than 15 minutes… ha!
So on the whole things are OK overall, we’ve been blessed with a great Christmas, family have been utterly incredible (and continue to be), each day we find things to enjoy, things that bring us joy amongst the exhaustion and rubbishness and now we’re finding that we hope we’re coming out of the other side of the worst of the chemo effects. The trouble is, you never really know so we’re just making the best of each day.
That’s the main reason I’ve not updated this blog thing for so long, I sat down to do it last week and my brain just said “no!” and that was that. Good to be feeling in my right mind again for once, let’s see how long it lasts!
I trust you’ve all had a great Christmas/New Year, have caught up with family and friends and had a great time during the break. I’ll try not to leave the next update so long!
Cheers all!
Paul

No comments: