Monday, January 13, 2014

Viernes .... Sol .....

A solitary interlude after first coffee as the restless one had decided that the time had come for a solo seafront jog in the glare of horizontal rays slicing through the palms as the sunrise revealed the absence of cloud. The lazier one also noticed the absence of any breeze as he elected to take in an extra coffee on the balcony. From here the lady next door was greeted with a "hola, buenos dias"
almost convincingly sounding a bit spanish, but not much. Her reply was the customary response which, as it was a repetition of what I'd said was initially understood but her words from then on, and there were many, were just a torrent of sounds. Except for the words in the post title. I got them.

She was right. Mucho sol and it passed 20. Not a breath of wind all day and even now there's not enough wind to make the water emit a sound as it kisses the sand. The foreshore has an easy time here. The only cloud came just before sunset, which was glorious. With sunset the temperature dropped very quickly but today has been one of the very best.

The extra coffee and a walk up to the same Church as last week where I was able to greet "Antonio" and he me. We asked for no translation this time as we don't want to be a burden but the lady dropped just enough English references to keep us on track. It was a great pleasure, again. I expect it will be next week, too. Such a very pleasant crowd. This is Spain, after all. Very small in number but, I think, big in heart and concern for those worse off and these are in no way affluent as we would consider affluent to be. Walking up this week we noticed the droves heading for the very big and very modern new Catholic Church by the narrow gauge railway crossing as they looked like those we would consider church goers.

Another thing we noticed up that end of town was Consum, we saw a Konsum on the dockside at Gruz, port for Dubrovnik last year so we had a look around and what did we see? 1.5l plastic bottles of Leche Semi with a green top. The tea hasn't tasted so good since we arrived.  Nor the coffee. I may even get some cereal.

Arriving back it was hot. A cold beer each and then I finally managed the omelette that had been threatening for a couple of days. Very nice it was, too. Well, it wasn't bad and almost all of it was eaten. Next time it'll be better.

The shorts came out and the sandals went on. It's odd wandering over the road passing by people wearing heavy coats, scarves, hats and sometimes gloves. I supose they may be fashion accessories but even so, it's scorching. I would feel a bit awkward wearing summer rig in town but down here by the beach, I can't not do it. I can't wear a coat or pullover above 14 or 15 and after 17 or 18 it's summer, isn't it. 20 and the cossie's out.

I got the distinct impression that some of this afternoon's diners were looking at me but that may have been because the headphones were doing their stuff and I may have been singing, normally I'd have been made aware but the restless one had taken to paddling and I was deserted on the balcony at the time. I didn't charge so I don't feel too bad.

I thought I'd cross the road too but I sat down to change and didn't wake up till the shadows had lengthened considerably. So we had tea and a stroll down to the wharf to watch the sunset. So did a phalanx of photographers all in prime position, tripods at the ready, instructor advising, bags of gear and tons of enthusiasm which, from what we saw, was well worth the effort. A lovely sunset, not quite the sunset over Clodgy in June but not bad for a foreign place in January.

Another lovely day. However, I finish with this thought. We should be grateful for the rain as the place I stood to watch tonght's sunset was a foul smelling place beyond question. The more sensitive one couldn't stand it and I could only cope for a few moments longer. A few thousand dogs, a few hundred posts in the road and walkways and a day of hot sun. Not good, not good at all.









The start of the stroll this evening. Lovely.

No comments: